Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur, is offering unique B.Tech. programs with multi-disciplinary breadth aligned with the emerging technology trends. With design thinking and social connect embedded into the curriculum, these programs target to produce ‘global engineers’ who will be technology leaders and innovators with empathy and sensitivity for sustainable development.
With the emergence of multidisciplinary research and technologies globally, the creative function of engineering is expected to cover the broader context of the new patterns of knowledge creation across traditional disciplines. To address this, IIT Jodhpur offers eight flagship B. Tech. courses to meet the emerging demand of multi-disciplinary learning. These B.Tech. programs include:
- AI and Data Science
- Materials Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil and Infrastructure Engineering
Along with this, Entrepreneurship Education has also been introduced in the IIT Jodhpur curriculum as a minor area which offers the students an enriching experience in innovation, prototyping, business model formulation, and market analysis. Such continual integrative experiences help students to expand and deepen their ‘internal knowledge structure’ of the discipline, which will aid their eventual retrieval and use.
Highlighting his vision for the Institute’s unique curriculum, Prof. Santanu Chaudhury, Director, IIT Jodhpur, said, “IIT Jodhpur is committed to deliver a strong student-focused educational experience and to provide quality education with a contemporary and highly professional curriculum. Opportunities for multidisciplinary exploration of engineering problems in teams, with sustainability in focus, makes IIT Jodhpur’s education unique and future-ready.”
The curriculum of IIT Jodhpur emphasizes on:
- The fundamentals of basic and engineering sciences to enable the students to have a broader multi-disciplinary perspective for the specialization being pursued
- Early design courses focus heavily on conceptual design methods and less on discipline-specific artifacts. These courses teach that the students could begin to think and work like engineers
- Avenues created for making students continuously engaged in these intellectual processes throughout the curriculum and at an increasingly sophisticated level through design credits
With these courses, IIT Jodhpur is addressing the requirements of a modern engineering curriculum such as:
- Flexibility to understand and manage rapidly evolving technologies
- Ability to identify, define as well as solve problems
- Proficiency in theory and applications
- Skill for handling out-of-the-box engineering challenges
- Capable of Creative Thinking
- Experience of entrepreneurship
- Understanding of public policy implications
Apart from this, the integrated B.Tech. programs of IIT Jodhpur focus on:
- Developing greater technical depth by offering ‘Department Area Specialization’ leading to five-year B.Tech. + M.Tech. which allows students to pursue an in-depth study of the topics of interest belonging to the program.
- Innovation through Specialization in Engineering Innovation has also been introduced with the aim of making students industry ready by offering five months Practical Project jointly with an Industry or R&D organization. This way, the students get real-world experience working for an industry on a project that complements their academic experience.
- Emphasizing on the development of technical skills in multidisciplinary areas and upcoming fields including Artificial Intelligence, Cyber-Physical Systems, Internet of Things, Robotics, and Smart Healthcare, among others.
With the evolving patterns of knowledge creation across disciplines a Double B.Tech. with a second degree in Engineering Science is also introduced at IIT Jodhpur to pursue newer structures of programs in addition to traditional ones to provide the ability to apply diverse knowledge and skills flexibly in novel situations.