The Council for Higher Education in Israel and the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities are pleased to announce a new excellence fellowship program for outstanding international postdoctoral researchers. The fellowship program signifies Israel’s commitment to international scientific exchange and the advancement of world-class research.
- Postdoctoral fellows in the program will have the opportunity to engage in innovative research in one of Israel’s globally recognized universities, to actively collaborate with their supervisors, and to cultivate their academic skills in a vibrant and challenging entrepreneurial environment.
- Fellows will participate in various activities, such as day trips, seminars, workshops and social events during their fellowship. These types of activities will foster a welcoming dynamic, enabling participants to connect with one another, with Israeli academia and with Israeli society.
- A total of 20 fellowships will be granted to incoming post-doctorate students for conducting research in one of Israel’s universities; at least 15 fellowships will be allocated in Sciences, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM), and up to 5 fellowships will be allocated in the Humanities and the Social Sciences. The fellowships will be awarded for two years for 160,000 NIS (~INR 34.67 lakh).
To be considered for the fellowship:
- The applicant must be an international candidate with a PhD from a recognized higher education institution outside of Israel less than 4 years from the time of application (not including parental or medical leave), or who will receive a PhD from a recognized higher education institution outside of Israel prior to the commencement of the fellowship.
- Israeli citizens or residents, and candidates who commenced a postdoctoral position in Israel prior to September 1, 2020 may not apply.
- The applicant must have been accepted to a post-doctoral position under the supervision of a faculty member at one of the following Israeli universities (in alphabetical order): Ariel University, Bar-Ilan University, Ben-Gurion University, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Open University of Israel, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Tel Aviv University, University of Haifa, Weizmann Institute of Science.
Application Timeline: All materials should be submitted by the universities on/before February 1, 2021 to the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities. It is important for applicants to apply directly to the concerned university and be in direct contact with them regarding internal application deadlines. The application deadlines will remain university specific.
Application Process: Candidates should apply directly to their host university, which will conduct an internal evaluation process and submit selected candidates to the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities. Applications to the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities will only be accepted from the participating universities.
A committee comprising members of the Israel Academy of Science and the Humanities, the Israel Young Academy, and leading scholars and scientists in Israeli academia, will select the fellows based on academic and research excellence. Awardees will be notified by May 2021.
For more information: Excellence Fellowship Program for International Postdoctoral Researchers