For the second year in a row, IIT Roorkee has been selected by the prestigious Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for the Industrial Innovation Awards.
This year, under the Most Innovative Research Institutions category, IIT Roorkee has been awarded the first position. The second and third positions have gone to IIT Madras and Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services, Hyderabad (INCOIS), respectively.
Last year IIT Roorkee was adjudged as ‘The Most Innovative Institute of the Year’ for its innovation quotient.
The awards were announced today at the 27th DST-CII Technology Summit in the presence of Dr. Srivari Chandrashekhar, Secretary, DST, Government of India & Mr. Kris Gopalakrishnan, Past President, CII & Chairman, CII Industrial Innovation Awards.
The awards are based on both, the institute’s innovation ecosystem and actual innovations produced by the institute. The following parameters define the innovation ecosystem:
· Institutional strategies and research depth.
· Innovation portfolios (sponsored research, IPR generation, translational research).
· Initiatives by the institution to promote and champion innovation.
· Innovation Impact (industry-academia partnership, international collaboration, technology transfer, societal impact, etc.)
In addition to the innovation ecosystem in the institute, the following innovations have contributed to IIT Roorkee being selected for this award
· Visco-elastic Energy Dissipating Link Elements for Earthquake resistant housing construction by Prof. Pankaj Agarwal, Dr. Amit Goyal, Dr. Nidhin and Mr. Naveen, all from the Department of Earthquake Engineering.
· Nitrogen-Doped Reduced Graphene Oxide (N-rGO) for High-Performance Supercapacitor from Prof. Anil Kumar and Dr. Sahil Thareja from the Department of Chemistry.
· Novel hybrid adsorbent for simultaneous removal of arsenic and fluoride from contaminated water by Prof. Prasenjit Mondal, Dr. Vineet, Mr. Rahul, Mr. Hemant, Dr. Lokendra and Ms. Shubhi, all from the Department of Chemical Engineering.
The above-mentioned innovations, along with the innovations of the other leading Innovative Organizations of 2021, will feature in a compendium launched by CII.
Dr Srivari Chandrashekhar, Secretary, DST, Government of India, congratulated all winners and other participants for their innovation and urged everyone to continue nurturing their innovation framework to revolutionize our industries for an exciting future. He further said that India is still is an agriculture country and 65% of total Indian population depend upon agriculture sector, hence we need to bring innovative solutions to uplift the sector for better life and health of the people. He further added “For innovations to be successful, industry has to handhold and nurture innovation so that innovations become translatable”.
Mr Kris Gopalakrishnan, Past President, CII & Chairman, CII Industrial Innovation Awards, mentioned that Innovation combined with entrepreneurship, and a focus on research, innovation, and entrepreneurship is the key to achieve our goal of $10 trillion economy.
“We are delighted to be recognized by CII’s Industrial Innovation Award for two years in a row. IIT Roorkee provides an ambience and ecosystem which inspires its students and faculty to focus on industrial innovation, in addition to academic research. The mindset of the Institute and the facilities available in the campus provide a smooth ride from ideation to creation. This award reinforces our belief that we are on the right path and we need to continue to nurture the best practices we have in this space.” said Prof. Ajit K. Chaturvedi, Director, IIT Roorkee.